If you have been getting bored riding a bike on a plain road, then you need to take a look at mountain bikes. They are enjoyable, thrilling and too much fun especially if you are with your friends.
While most good mountain bikes are very expensive, you can still get a decent one for under $500. What you need to pay attention to are a bike’s features that include its body frame, tires, suspensions and gears.
A good mountain bike should consist of decent quality materials in each of the above-mentioned areas in order to function properly.
Consider the following list of mountain bikes that will take your adventure in the mountains without breaking your bank.
Are you looking for an affordable and good looking mountain bike?
Kent Thruster KZ2600 might just fit your bill. It comes with an aluminium MTB frame, a Shimano gear system, and a high-rise handlebar.
Kent KZ2600 boasts of a highly durable 6061 Aluminium frame that helps in smooth movement across all types of terrain. The Aluminium frame gives more control of the bike to the biker while evacuating tough terrain.
Kent KZ2600 comes with a 21 speed Gear speed which enables you to change speed quickly and with ease. The Gear system is accompanied by Shimano gear and rear derailleur.
Kent does come fitted with 26-inch tires. These type of tires are lightweight, safe and do have better gripping power. This makes Kent truly an all-terrain bike.
The bike is fitted with two types of brake: front disk brake and rear linear-pull brake. I though found that it would have been better if both the tires consist of the disk brake. However, I did find that I was able to stop the bike at quick notice.
Performance-wise this bike does great in this price segment. Kent Thruster has lots of features to improve its manoeuvring ability and performance. I particularly like the small attention given to several of its parts like the quick-release mechanism and the floating beam suspension. The 26” tire gives you the ability to move across the rocky terrain with ease
- The bike is extremely well built and highly suited for a person of all size.
- Dual suspension helps in preventing your b and from a severe backache and discomfort.
- The 21-speed drive train enables you to move quickly without compromising any safety factor.
- Aluminium frame makes it light weight. So, you can carry it everywhere with ease.
- The braking system is very good with both disk brake and rear linear brake providing the necessary static friction for uptime functioning.
- The bike is shipped unassembled. So, be prepared to shelve some extra bucks to get it assembled properly at your local bike shop.
- The Bike is priced at a highly attractive rate and hence comes without any extra holders or any other utility.
Northwoods Mountain bike is one of the most affordable, lightweight and sturdy pre-teen bike that I would ever get my hands on. Though general consensus happens to vary in regard to this bike, I found this one to be better than many other higher priced models.
However, I did found it to perform better on some tracks than on another surface (more on that in a minute). Just to clarify this is one of the best bikes that you can have as a gift for your teen son.
Northwoods is powered by a lightweight aluminium frame which increases its durability as well as manoeuvrability. It also boasts of knobby grip tires which are large enough to provide the surface area for better gripping and control. The 21-speed twist shifters allow you to ride pretty fast while still providing you with comfort and control. The bike also has front and rear shock absorbers which make sure that your back stays in place and you can ride with ease across all terrain types.
The bike is most suitable for young boys and works well with most body types. However, if you’re more than 6 feet tall then, I would suggest looking for some other bike. Besides an excellent bike, it works just fine on any road surface.
- If you’re a hiking junkie like me, then this one is for you. It’s absolutely lightweight and very easy to carry and move across the various trail. Trust me this would make your life a lot easier.
- The front and Rear shock absorber make riding this bike lot easier and enjoyable.
- Unlike many other bikes, this bike comes partly assembled. You can hit up the road quickly
- Though this bike is advertised as 25 lbs but I think it weighs a little more. Not a deal-breaker and is fairly lightweight as compared to other bikes.
- One more annoying thing with the bike is that the rear gears oscillate when riding with the speed.
Gravity FSX is the perfect mountain bike that you can use for fun riding as well as some adventure riding across the trail. If you’re looking for some aggressive riding across all trails then probably this bike is not for you. (More onto it later).
Shortcomings aside this is a great well-built bike that can be used as a multipurpose bike. The bike is well suited for all body types from 5 feet 8 inches to 6 feet above.
The Bike boasts lots of features which I’m quite sure will make your riding experience wonderful. Gravity FSX boasts of Front and Rear disc brake which enable you to stop your bike within few seconds of time with a high degree of accuracy. The mechanical brake prevents your bike from skidding while going down the trail. The Dual suspension feature provides great shock-absorbing capacity for bike riders and this makes it an all body type bike.
The Bike is made up of an aluminium frame which makes it extremely lightweight and a delight to ride. Gravity FSX has 26” wheels which make it great for gripping the rugged surface. Though I would like to have bigger treads for it. The 24-speed gear shift also enables you to control your speed easily across a wide range of terrain.
The Gravity FSX did perform exceedingly well on the road surface making the ride very smooth. I took the bike around my campus around and I found it pure joy. I tested the bike in my nearby park across the down trail with the brake and suspension working great to provide the required balance and stability.
- The lightweight framework makes cross transportation easy peasy. Every time I do a cross country ride with this bike I feel the need to tighten some gears and nuts and having a lightweight bike makes it very easy. A Super manual brake system makes riding this bike very safe.
- The bike is very sturdy and well built.
- The rear suspension is not very good and I feel a problem when pedalling or standing up with this bike.
- The gears need a little bit of tightening every time I do some heavy riding with it.
- You may need to upgrade with some better wheel if you plan to go pro with your bike riding journey.
Merax Finiss is again a good value bike that you can have in your biking arsenal. One way Merax differs from its competitor is that they ship assembled bike. The bike is assembled more than 85% and you can get running with it very quickly.
Merax Finiss is made of light heated aluminium which increases its durability and strength. This bike comes in an impressive design with different colour option and style. You can choose between three colour option- Grey and green, white and blue and lastly black and red. The same colour style is also reciprocated in the saddle and wheel making it look quite trendy and attractive.
Merax Finnis uses the advanced disc brake system. If you’re very much eager to know how a Disc brake system work and why it is better then watch this video
In short, it increases the speed and accuracy of the operation. Merax Finiss supports 80 mm suspension thus providing adequate front and rear shock compression.
When I took it out for a ride, I found you need to make some fine adjustments to make everything going great. You may need to make some setting adjustment in the Disc brake as well as in the front derailleur.
- The bike is extremely low priced and packs lots of value under this price range.
- Extremely well designed with attractive colours.
- Though you’ve to make some fine adjustment still it is quite easy to put together.
- The adjustment and settings error in the disc and front derailleur is not expected from such a brand.
- Handlebars are not of optimum quality and often produces cracking noise every time I’m making any turn.
- The crankshaft bearing did get disintegrated after few months of use.
I like to ride something that is not only comfortable but also gives a sense of protection. Being new rider security of yourself is something that you should give lots of attention to.
Schwinn bike is made up of steel frame with big wheels which can cross almost all types of terrain. The Schwinn suspension fork helps in increasing the control. MTB riser handlebar aids in a comfortable riding position. This bike is boasted with Sram 7 speed grip shifters with Shimano TX-31 rear derailleur for a quick change of speed. Schwinn alloy crank offers optimal gearing.
The Schwinn Men’s High Timber Mountain Bike is not only equipped with a steel frame but also with big wheels to sport a carefree ride. A suspension fork is also there to escalate control, while the handlebars provide you with a relaxed riding position. If you want to ride this bike for a quick race with your friends and family, then it is just the right choice for you as the seven-speed grip shifters with Shimano TX-31 rear derailleur make sure you quickly change the gears to leave behind your oppositions.
This men’s mountain bike is equipped with front and rear linear-pull brakes that can be made use of at any uninvited danger and are sure to pull off the bike at the very moment.
- The ride is smooth and comfortable.
- It comes with easy adjustment.
- The look of the bike is sturdy, and one is sure of its durability.
- It is presented with pre-drilled mounts.
- The structure is a bit too heavy.
- It also requires some major component replacements.
- The seat is not according to my likings.
- No place to carry the water bottle.
- Pedals are made up of plastic.